Froh Heim - Far Hills
The Women’s Association’s fourteenth Mansion in May was held at Froh Heim and raised $585,528 for Valerie Fund Children’s Center at Goryeb Children’s Hospital.
About Froh Heim
Froh Heim was the centerpiece of Grant and Elizabeth Schley’s 3,000-acre estate in Far Hills. Grant, a wealthy banker and broker, is credited with building the town of Far Hills, while Elizabeth named it as she viewed the beautiful “far hills.” The Schleys built Froh Heim (German for “Happy Home”) in the late 1800s as a rambling country house with Japanese accents. When Grant died in 1917, his son Evander, a mining industrialist, tore down the original house. A new Spanish style stone and stucco house with a red-tile roof was designed by architects Peabody, Wilson & Brown of New York. In the 1930s, alterations to the main house were carried out by F. Burrall Hoffman, Jr. Froh Heim often served as the meeting point for the hunts of the Essex Fox Hounds and in 1916, the estate began hosting the annual New Jersey Hunt Cup Steeplechase – one of the first to be run in the United States.