When History Collides
Contributing with Passion
the Past 17 Mansions
Celebrating 125 years
Then and Now
1880 - 1930
Beautiful things can happen
The Historic Mansion
Alnwick Hall, known today as The Abbey, was complete in 1904 as the home of Rosalie Behr and Edward Meany. Edward Peter Meany was an attorney and businessman whose many endeavors ranged from railway and telegraph line construction to serving on several corporate boards and governmental bodies to playing a significant role in the expansion of the then emerging telephone industry as general counsel for the American Telephone and Telegraph Company. Rosalie Meany is credited with giving Alnwick Hall its distinctive cultural identity in the social life of Morristown.
Millionaires' Row, the stretch of Madison Avenue between Morristown and Madison was lined by a nearly unbroken series of large and elegant estate houses during the area's Golden Age. Alnwick Hall is a now-rare and largely unaltered survivor. This stretch was also called:
“the street of the 100 millionaires” and “the finest four miles in the world.”
Notable neighbors included Florence Vanderbilt and Hamilton McKown Twombly of “Florham” (now Fairleigh Dickinson), Geraldine Rockefeller and Marcellus Hartley Dodge Sr. of “Giralda” in Madison (site of Mansion in May 1976 shown in the photo above), and Addie Wolff and Otto Hermann Kahn of “Cedar Court” (now the Honeywell campus).
Historic Madison Avenue
Morristown's Golden Age
1880 -1930 The Golden Age: During the decades following the Civil War, the United States experienced tremendous economic growth and the concomitant accumulation of enormous wealth by a new and growing group of industrialists and financiers who were determined to join the ranks of the established upper class. To assimilate themselves into high society—which in New York and New Jersey had long been dominated by descendants of the early Dutch and English “Knickerbocker” merchant families—these newly rich plutocrats lavishly spent their new-found wealth to acquire all of the physical manifestations of the aristocratic life, including establishing large country houses and estates in one or more of the country’s picturesque residential “colonies.”
In the East, these new and exclusive areas included Newport, Rhode Island; Bar Harbor, Maine; Lenox, Massachusetts; the Main Line outside Philadelphia; the Hudson River Valley of New York—and the Morristown area, including Morris Township, Madison, the Somerset Hills, and Harding Township.
In 1902, the New York Herald reported that “Morristown . . . contains the richest and least known colony of wealthy people in the world.” The cachet of exclusivity was, and remains, a powerful lure.
photography by Wing Wong/Memories TTL
History of Mansion in May
The Past 17 Mansions: Mansion in May Designer Showhouse and Gardens is the signature fundraising event of the Women's Association for Morristown Medical Center. Since it's inception in 1974, the events have raised more than ten million dollars for causes at Morristown Medical Center.
Click on a thumbnail to learn more about each of our 17 fabulous past mansions.
History of WAMMC
Contributing with Passion since 1893: In Morristown of 1889, there was no hospital and a woman's place was in the home. Yet it was a woman who, by the bequest of her home and property, brought Morristown Memorial Hospital into being.
Myra Brookfield’s generous bequest to found a Morristown hospital required that the community raise $15,000 over three years to furnish and equip the new hospital. Just six weeks before Miss Brookfield’s bequest was due to expire, the necessary funds were raised in large part due to the efforts of another woman, Augusta Stone. The certificate of incorporation for Morristown Memorial Hospital was executed in November 1892. To ensure that the community support would continue, the Women’s Association was formally established four months later in March 1893. Thus, the partnership between the hospital, the Women’s Association and the community was forged.
Morristown Medical Center
Celebrating 125 Years: In 2017, Morristown Medical Center—a nationally-ranked hospital in Morristown, New Jersey—celebrates 125 years of providing high-quality care to the communities it serves.
Prior to its existence, doctors in this area often sent patients to a hospital in Orange, NJ or into New York City when they felt hospitalization was warranted.
One such patient, Myra Brookfield, was so inspired by the care she received that she willed
her property (shown above) on DeHart Street to the city of Morristown for the purpose of establishing a hospital upon her death. As part of the arrangement, the town’s residents were required to raise an additional $15,000 within three years—a deadline that was successfully met thanks to a town-wide fundraiser.
So, on November 19, 1892, Morristown Memorial Hospital was incorporated and opened
its doors to patients a year later at 66 Morris Street in the area that is today occupied by the Midtown Shopping Center.
Two relocations, multiple expansions, and hundreds of thousands of patients later, Morristown Medical Center is known across the nation as a leader in cardiovascular medicine, orthopedics and nursing, and is part of Atlantic Health System, one of the leading non-profit health care systems in NJ.
Join us as we celebrate 2017 by giving back to the community that helped build our
History of MMC Nursing
MMC Establishes Nursing School in 1895: The roots of modern nursing started to take place in Britain and North America in the 18th and 19th centuries. During the Crimean War, Florence Nightingale and her sustained efforts to tend to the the injured soldiers, made the world realize that nursing is a vital pillar of healthcare. Nightingale focused on improving hygiene and sanitary conditions, an ideal that forms the crux of the nursing profession. Her efforts bore fruit and in 1860, she opened the very first nursing school in London, which was known as the Florence Nightingale School for Nurses. This paved the course for Clarissa Harlowe Barton, who founded the American Red Cross soon after the Civil War, which prompted a number of nursing schools in the US to open during the late 1800’s. In 1892, Morristown Memorial Hospital was incorporated and in 1895 it established a nursing school which was then accredited by the state of New Jersey in 1908.
*Historical photos courtesy of the Morristown and Morris Township Library, the North Jersey History & Genealogy Center